I love a new year. I know it's a little cliche, but I love change; I love new things; I love a blank page to fill with beautiful, hard, fun, surprising things. That being said, I'm going to do a little recap of 2015 and a little dream-sharing for 2016.
We went into 2015 with high hopes, and the year did not disappoint. Our sweet Lady A was born early last year, and she truly brought the spring with her. The world blossomed overnight. She has brought us so much joy! She makes us laugh with her funny faces and the way she imitates everything we do these days. She amazes us by how smart she is. She makes us a little worried with how determined (read: stubborn) she is. Lady A is a go-getter: she ended the year and her ninth month of life by taking her first steps!! We fall more in love with her everyday. We (finally) are putting the finishing touches on her nursery, so I'll share a walk-through of her room here soon. And, in just a couple of months, I'll share all the details of her first birthday (how is that even possible!?!?)
2015 saw Husband and I both starting new jobs/businesses (if you or someone you know need either IT support and/or a postpartum doula, we're your folks--pass it on!) I had my first couple of postpartum clients, and that just confirmed for me that this is what I was born to do: helping moms, helping babies, and being an encouragement. Yes!
I finally got a new camera in 2015! This may seem like small beans compared to, you know, having a baby and starting a business, but this was a big deal for me! I've been having so much fun learning how to use a real camera. If you're local to me and would like some family pictures and don't mind being a guinea pig, let me know! I'm hoping to get good at this photography thing and eventually offer newborn/family photos as part of my postpartum doula business! :) I'd love to take your pictures, if you're up for it!
And now for 2016.
Husband and I love to set goals. We talk goals and set goals all the time. We're always looking to the next thing with excitement; the New Year is certainly no exception. Here's a small glimpse of what we hope for 2016:
1) Travel: it's past time to dust off the passports again! This year will see us going back to our beloved East Africa. We're so excited! And I have some serious language study to do in the meantime. Swahili, I will master you this year!
2) Business growth: I want to have 12 doula clients over the course of this year.
3) Photography: I already mentioned this one, but I want to get good at this.
4) Schedule: I tend to be more of a take-life-as-it-comes person, but when I'm in charge of myself and a baby (almost toddler) and a business, that's really not practical; something (usually the state of tidiness in my house) will always fall by the wayside, so this will be the Year of the Schedule for me. Few things stress me out like a messy house, so I'm excited to keep to a cleaning schedule this year.
5) Garden: it gets a little bigger and better every year. I recently read an article detailing how there are certain varieties of fruits and veggies that are more nutrient-dense than others. These varieties also happen to be hardier plants, so I'm excited to try growing some blue potatoes, purple carrots, deep red tomatoes, and more!
6) Chickens: I *think* we're finally going to get chickens this spring. We eat a LOT of eggs, so I'm pretty sure they'll pay for themselves in the first month, especially if we buy already laying hens. We just need to find someone who will feed them for us while we're in Africa this fall---any takers?? ;)
7) Create: I thrive when I have time to be creative. Whether that's writing, journaling, drawing, taking pictures, crafting, whatever, it makes my heart happy.
8) Blog: I have a goal of writing at least one blog post/week. You can hold me to that. :)
There are more (always, there are more!), but this gives you a small glimpse of what you can expect from me this year.
May 2016 be a year of infinite blessings for you and yours!